George Ann Tognoni was raised on an Iowa farm and raised Shetland ponies as a child. She went to Minneapolis and achieved a Fashion degree and worked in fashion manufacture in Minneapolis and Los Angeles. When WWII broke out, she returned to the family farm as a hired hand. Tognoni was introduced to sculpture at the University of New Mexico during the War. In 1945, she joined the Red Cross and served in the Philippines. After raising five children, she returned to sculpture full time. Tognoni died in 2008 at her home in Phoenix at the age of 88.
Located at the west entrance to the Scottsdale Civic Mall area, this bronze originally completed in 1985, was purchased by the Scottsdale Fine Arts Commission with funds also provided by the Scottsdale Western Arts Association and sited on the mall in 1986. She also created the Winfield Scott Memorial sculpture in front of the Little Red School House just east of The Yearlings on the mall.