Koryn Woodward Wasson
Bird Cloud Island
Scottsdale Public Art presents: Bird Cloud Island by Koryn Woodward Wasson May 11 – August 31, 2017 This summer, Scottsdale Public Art and artist Koryn Woodward Wasson are transforming the Gallery at Civic Center Library into a luxurious family-friendly resort hotel titled Bird Cloud Island! Once only for birds, Bird Cloud Island is opening its doors to human families so they […]
May 11 - Aug 31, 2017
Scottsdale Public Art presents: Bird Cloud Island by Koryn Woodward Wasson
May 11 – August 31, 2017
This summer, Scottsdale Public Art and artist Koryn Woodward Wasson are transforming the Gallery at Civic Center Library into a luxurious family-friendly resort hotel titled Bird Cloud Island! Once only for birds, Bird Cloud Island is opening its doors to human families so they can get out of the summer heat and enjoy some rest and relaxation alongside their feathered friends.
While exploring the hotel as either a guest or a concierge-in-training, visitors can enjoy the resort’s special bird-friendly amenities like the Neato-Nido Nests, Early’s Diner, the Jewel Pool and the Good-Night Show at the Luna Club. Bird Cloud Island also will host a variety of free, art-making and educational workshops so guests can learn more about their local bird population and how birds and humans rely on each other for survival.
Starting Friday, June 6, discover the Bird Cloud Island “Flight Path” and “Career Path!” Each starts with a pamphlet taking you to the different amenity stations around the gallery. At each station you will learn about how to become a bird hotel guest, or how to care for them, depending on your chosen path. The paths will end once you have filled out your pamphlet with everything you have learned. Then you take it to the youth librarian to collect your reward: a hotel key or Four Feathers Society pin!
Scottsdale Public Art hosted a Grand Opening Reception on Thursday, May 11, 2017, 5-7:30 p.m. at the Gallery @ The Library. The public enjoyed the official ribbon-cutting, an exclusive tour with artist and “hotel manager” Koryn Woodward Wasson, and delicious bird-themed snacks and refreshments.
Whether you become an official hotel guest, a “Four Feather Society” member or a visitor to the grounds, all are invited to attend the free, family-friendly workshops created by Wasson.
- Monday, May 22, 10-11 a.m. – Birdhouse Building Workshop: Recycling books, cans and decoupage, learn to make cute birdhouses for our feathered friends.
- Monday, June 5, 9-10 a.m. – Birdfeeder Workshop: Using recycled materials and bird seeds, you’ll take on this messy project outside the library early in the day. Bring water and a hat.
- Monday, July 3, 10-11 a.m. – Patriotic Eagle Feather Crown Workshop: The bald eagle was chosen June 20, 1782, as the emblem of the United States of America. To celebrate our nation’s independence, you will create a majestic eagle feather crown in this workshop.
- Saturday, July 15, 10 a.m.-Noon – Bird Cloud Island Mask-Making Workshop: Join us on stage in your best bird costume. Create a bird mask with feathers, sequins and fun colors. What kind of bird will you be?
- Thursday, July 27, 4-5 p.m. – Macramé Hummingbird Feeders Workshop: Learn how to tie string into macramé for a hanging bird feeder with Amy Guerrero, local macramé artist and entrepreneur.
- Saturday, August 12, 10-11 a.m. – Bird Puppets Workshop: Join us to make up to three different bird puppets: paper finger puppet, sock puppet and paper cup puppet with local actor, director and puppet maker, Steve Wilcox.
Additional events include “I’m a Harwood Steiger Addict” Presentation by Cynthia DeVillemarette; a lecture about artist and designer Harwood Steiger on August 16, at 6:30 p.m. at the Civic Center Library Auditorium, and a closing reception “Bird Cloud Island Party” on August 26th.
In addition to all of the fun workshops and activities, a new bird will be featured on the Bird Cloud Island coloring sheet each week throughout the summer, so collect them all!
And if you missed one week, don’t worry, you can download them here:
- Week 1: Gambel’s Quail
- Week 2: House Sparrow
- Week 3: Cactus Wren
- Week 4: Anna’s Hummingbird
- Week 5: Rosey-Faced Lovebird
- Week 6: Greater Road Runner
- Week 7: Curve-Bill Thrasher
- Week 8: White Winged Dove
Bird Cloud Island by Koryn Woodward Wasson has been made possible by a generous donation by the Carstens Family Funds.
About the Artist:
Koryn was born and raised in Phoenix, Arizona. She received a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Art Education with an emphasis on printmaking from Arizona State University. She will be starting as the middle school arts instructor at Pueblo del Sol this year. She lives and works with her husband Roy Wasson Valle and their daughter, Cora. In 2014, Koryn and Roy worked together to create Camp Dreamtree in the Gallery @ The Library.