Scottsdale Public Art exhibition opportunities for local and regional artists
Entry deadline: November 29, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. (MST)
On display from January 10, 2021, to Mar 2, 2021, at the Civic Center Public Gallery, located at Scottsdale Civic Center Library, 3839 N Drinkwater Boulevard, Scottsdale AZ 85251. NOTE: Exhibition schedule is subject to change and will be dictated by conditions from the city of Scottsdale and the Civic Center Library due to ongoing developments of the COVID-19 pandemic.
A juried group exhibition of artwork by Arizona artists of color (BIPOC: Black, Indigenous, and People of Color) who explore the reality of living in Arizona in the 21st Century. We live here and know it’s not all romantic sunsets with saguaros and coyotes howling at wide-open spaces. The social and physical landscape has been transformed by the human reality of living in large metropolitan cities and small towns of Arizona, where we all experience a different reality.
What needs to be shown? What needs to be said? What’s your perspective on living in the West? We have cactus and palm trees, dirt roads and freeways, homes and apartments, empty shopping malls and development. We are living in Arizona together, wanting the light and sky, and it is a poignant beauty. Co-curated by Joe Willie Smith, a Phoenix artist and designer.
Artworks can be any size up to 52 inches wide by 52 inches long for wall hanging. Sculptural work dimension limits for pedestals are 20 inches high by 15 inches wide by 15 inches deep. The gallery at Civic Center Library is 680 square feet, with 8-foot tall walls, electric and data availability in the floor, and a cable and rod hanging system. The gallery walls shall not be pierced or affected by the installation. The hanging system must be used. D-rings must be on the back of work to accommodate the hanging system. Wall-hung artworks shall be no more than 90 pounds each.
The Civic Center Public Gallery is open during library hours. Those hours have been modified due to the COVID-19 pandemic. For current hours, visit.
Selected artists are responsible for delivery and pick-up of artwork. We do not pay for shipping. The artwork will be installed under the direction and support of the Scottsdale Public Art preparatory staff. Work must meet gallery standards, be professionally presented, and be ready to hang/install when brought for installation.
Please note: Existing artwork that fits this theme may be submitted for this call. The artwork must be acceptable for all ages. Artwork is not for sale at the gallery. We direct purchase inquiries to the artist.
PLEASE DO NOT CALL OR EMAIL.
Please submit an application that must include the following:
- A paragraph of (no more than) 250 words, stating the intent of your work for exhibition. Include your name on this document.
- Up to 5 images for individual submission. Digital photographs ONLY (all digital images must be JPEG, 300dpi, and sized approximately 5 inches by 6 inches).
- A list of the images that you have submitted. The identification list must include your name, address, phone number, image number, title of artwork, medium, and dimensions in height by width by depth. (See SAMPLE below).
SEND ALL INFORMATION TO
Scottsdale Public Art Curatorial Staff: 7380 E. 2nd Street, Scottsdale, AZ 85251
Mailing Address: ________________________________________________ City:_____________________________ State:_________ Zip:____________
Shipping Address: _______________________________________________ City:_____________________________ State:_________ Zip:____________
Phone: (day)(_____) _________________ (night)(_____) _______________
E-mail Address: _________________________________________________
IMAGE TYPE SUBMITTED: _ Thumb Drive _ CD _ DropBox from email:_________ *
* Send DropBox link to [email protected]. Make sure that your folder is titled WEST and includes your name.
LIST ENTRIES 1. (IMAGE NUMBER)
Medium: ________________________________ Production date:________
Dimensions: height__________width____________depth _______________
Entry deadline is November 29, 2020, at 11:59 p.m. MST
- Exhibition Dates: January 10 – March 2, 2021
- Entry Deadline: Sunday, November 29, 2020, at 11:59 p.m., MST
- Notification Date: Monday, December 7, 2020
- Delivery of Artwork by Hand: January 4, 2021, 10 a.m. to 5 pm. at Civic Center Public Gallery, inside Scottsdale Civic Center Library, 3839 E. Drinkwater Blvd, Scottsdale, AZ 85251
- Delivery of Artwork by Shipping: (we do not pay for shipping) Thursday, December 24, 2020, to 7380 E. 2nd Street, Scottsdale, AZ 85251
- Pick-Up Location and Date: April 1–2, 2021, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Civic Center Public Gallery. You must notify us of your pick-up date and time.